This program is offered by the Technology & Engineering Education Department
The Technology & Engineering Education K-12 program prepares graduates to teach in elementary, middle, secondary, and adult technology & engineering education programs in Connecticut and throughout the US. Current teacher shortages in the discipline have prompted many school systems throughout the country to offer financial incentives in a bid to attract qualified Technology & Engineering Education instructors to their systems. Technology & Engineering Education graduates may also obtain positions as teachers in foreign countries, instructors/supervisors in human resource programs in industry or government agencies, and as industry professionals. The program is accredited by Council on Technology Teacher Education as a specialty area accreditation, recognized by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education.
- Possess and be able to teach and assess basic knowledge and skills in technology and engineering education, as outlined in the Standards for Technological Literacy, the Framework for K-12 Science Standards, and applicable state standards.
- Understand and be able to foster and assess student acquisition of age-appropriate technology and engineering concepts, as outlined.
- Demonstrate an ability to plan and maintain a safe, flexible, and age-appropriate learning environment which promotes inquiry and problem-based learning; and demonstrate the skills and knowledge to operate equipment and handle materials safely.
- Demonstrate an ability to design and adapt rigorous, appealing, standards-based student challenges which require students to research, design, test, and redesign solutions to ill-defined problems, and which meaningfully integrate studies of mathematics, science, engineering, technology, and other subjects.
- Demonstrate an ability to adjust instructional approaches in response to differing learning styles; to manage multiple, disparate student activities simultaneously; and to design and administer assessments which promote continuous reflection and improvement of teaching and learning.
- Demonstrate an ability to critically assess technological and educational tends, and when appropriate, promote change in technology and engineering education.