Dr. Roger T. Zieger received the Linguist Award from the Friends of the Elihu Burritt Library on Sept. 27 in recognition of his support of the library.
Dr. James M. Micik ’77, ’82 joined the Science faculty at Iona College in 2017. He was the first to integrate Social Entrepreneurship into the college curriculum. He also received the Iona’s Recognition Award for outstanding academic accomplishments and dedicated service. Dr. Micik holds an Ed.D. from Columbia University.
Judy Hartling has retired after 37 years in higher education administration. For the past 23 years she served as director of Academic Advising at Springfield College. Prior to that, she worked four years at Alfred University and 10 years at CCSU, including serving as assistant dean of students from 1986 to 1992. She lives in Springfield, Mass., with her partner, Leslie Fenn, and is spending her time volunteering, reading, swimming, curating a Little Free Library, traveling, and being an honorary grandmother.
Donald M. Casey Jr. was selected in August as Educator of the Game by the Hartford Yard Goats baseball team. Casey was profiled on the large outfield screen at Dunkin’ Donuts Stadium and threw out the ceremonial first pitch. Casey is entering his 34th year as a professional educator at Stepney Elementary School in Monroe, Conn.
Cadence Aerospace named Bernard P. Chowaniec ’87, ’92 vice president of Operations on July 23. In his new role, Chowaniec will oversee day-to-day operations across Cadence facility locations with a focus on strategic planning and goal setting in quality, materials, delivery, costs, and manufacturing engineering.
Diane Pintavalle ’88, ’95 was one of four teachers in Connecticut to earn the Presidential Award for Excellence in Mathematics and Science Teaching. The White House announced the latest round of award winners on Oct. 15. Established in 1983, PAEMST is the highest award given by the U.S. Government to kindergarten through 12th-grade teachers of mathematics and science, including computer science.
William Fothergill received the CCSU Distinguished Service Award during the annual university convocation on Sept. 19. The Distinguished Service Award, the university’s highest honor, recognizes members of the campus community for exemplary service to Central.
The Connecticut Society of Certified Public Accountants elected Marie L. Benedetto, CPA, MST, of Middlefield on June 19 to serve as president-elect for the organization’s 2019- 2020 activity year. In addition to her election, Benedetto received the 2019 Jack Brooks Leadership Award with co-recipient Carl Johnson for their service as co-facilitators of the CTCPA Strategic Planning Committee.
Daniel E. Trudeau was named commander of the Vermont State Police Criminal Division, which oversees the Major Crime Unit, the Bureau of Criminal Investigation, and Special Investigations. Major Trudeau took command of the division on Dec. 23, 2018.
CCSU presented an exhibition of oil copper paintings by Benjamin Shamback from Oct. 17 to Nov. 14. Shamback is a professor of Visual Arts at the University of South Alabama.
The United States Border Patrol named Matthew J. Hudak chief patrol agent of the Big Bend Sector on April 2. The Big Bend Sector covers more than 135,000 square miles in Texas and Oklahoma. Prior to his latest posting, Hudak served as deputy chief patrol agent of the Del Rio Sector.
- Susan Wichrowski Bernacki launched S & G Merchandise and Services, LLC, with her husband, Gary Bernacki Jr. The couple wed on Oct. 14, 2017. S & G offers pet care services; small engine repair; and bookkeeping and business management support.
- Gwen Gallagher was named principal at New Milford’s Northville Elementary School in May.
- Edmund Grandahl turned 100 on June 12. Grandahl earned a bachelor’s degree in 2004 and his Master of Arts in Public History in 2008 while he was in his 80s.
- Adam R. Kozak wed Chrystal A. Lodovico (’05) on Jan. 20, 2018. Adam and Chrystal are both science teachers in New Britain.
- Fernando Mendoza was named director of Student Activities, Leadership & Commuter Life at the College of Mount Saint Vincent in Bronx, N.Y.
- The Connecticut Society of Certified Public Accountants appointed Ralph E. Anderson, CPA, MSAT, of Prospect to its Advisory Council for the 2019- 2020 activity year. Anderson will serve as chair of the CTCPA Federal Taxation Committee. He is also a trustee on the CTCPA Accounting Scholarship Foundation.
- The Connecticut Society of Certified Public Accountants appointed Michael J. Delaney, CPA, CFE, of Cheshire to its Advisory Council for the 2019- 2020 activity year. Delaney was reappointed to serve on the Advisory Council as a member-at-large.
Henry Howard was named vice president of Field Marketing at Chartwells Higher Education Dining Services. Chartwells is owned by Compass Group, the largest contract food service company in the world.
- Northwest Catholic High School in West Hartford appointed Ashley Mara as athletic director on July 1. Mara played Division I lacrosse at CCSU.
- Ryan Kristafer ’12, former co-host of “CT Style” on WTNH-TV, joined the team at Fox 5 New York as an entertainment anchor/reporter. Kristafer started at WTNH in 2015.
The Connecticut Society of Certified Public Accountants has appointed Cynthia Calderon of Middletown to serve as a Member-at-Large on its Advisory Council for the organization’s 2019-2020 activity year. Calderon also serves as the co-chair of the CPA society’s diversity initiative.
The Rappaport Institute for Greater Boston at the Harvard Kennedy School named Crystal Lopez Haynes a 2019 Rappaport Public Policy Fellow in April. Rappaport Fellows participate in a 10-week summer internship at municipal and state agencies throughout Greater Boston while attending a weekly seminar series featuring leading practitioners and scholars.
The Fulbright U.S. Student Program selected Lenard Foust as a recipient of a 2019-2020 grant. The program allocates grants for individually designed study and research projects to take place during one academic year in a participating country outside the U.S. Foust traveled to China to teach and research dance in China.