- Children as Treasures: Childhood and the Middle Class in Early Twentieth Century Japan (Harvard University Asia Center, 2010).
- “Fusing Emotion and Rationality: The Birth of Rational Love in Early 20th Century Japan,” forthcoming in a special issue on the "History of the sensibilities in the 20th century" for the French review Vingtième siècle. (2014).
- “The Hidden Heritage of Mothers and Teachers in the Making of Japan’s Superior Students,” in Children, Childhood, and Cultural Heritage, eds. Kate Darian-Smith and Carla Pascoe (Routledge, 2013).
- “Social and Economic Change in Prewar Japan,” with Steven Ericson in paperback edition of A Companion to Japanese History, ed. William Tsutsui (Wiley-Blackwell Publishing Limited, 2009).
- “Aristocrat and Peasant in Heian Japan” published on the website of Columbia University’s Expanding East Asian Studies (EXEAS) Initiative (www.exeas.org). (2006)
- “The Samurai in Japan and the World, c. 1900,” published on the website of Columbia University’s Expanding East Asian Studies (EXEAS) Initiative (www.exeas.org). (2005).
- “Childhood and the Middle Class in Early 20th Century Japan,” Social Science Japan 15 (1999).