- The French Revolutionary Tradition in Russian and Soviet Politics, Political Thought, and Culture (Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press, 2019).
- Meeting the Demands of Reason: The Life and Thought of Andrei Sakharov (Ithaca, NY: Cornell University Press, 2009).
- Vera Zasulich: A Biography (Stanford, CA: Stanford University Press, 1983). [Japanese edition, Sanrei Shobo, 1986.]
- "Sakharov on Gorbachev and Perestroika," Sakharov: An Appreciation on his Centenary [Forthcoming, 2021].
“Andrei Sakharov on Nuclear Peace and Nuclear War,” Christian Philip Peterson, William M. Knoblauch, and Michael Loadenthal, eds., The Routledge History of World Peace since 1750 (Routledge, 2018), 249-58.
- "The Paris Commune in Bolshevik Mythology," The English Historical Review (December 2014).
- "Peter the Great in the Writings of Soviet Dissidents," in Festschrift for Robert O. Crummey (Bloomington, IN: Slavica Press, 2008), 189-212.
- "Was the Soviet Union Totalitarian? The View of Soviet Dissidents and the Reformers of the Gorbachev Era," Studies in East European Thought (1998): 247-281.
- "Valerii Chkalov: Soviet Pilot as New Soviet Man," Journal of Contemporary History 33, no. 1 (1998): 133-52.
- "Reading Fiction to Understand the Soviet Union: Soviet Dissidents on Orwell's 1984,"History of European Ideas 23, nos. 5-6 (1997): 173-92.
- "The Idea of Individual Liberty in Bolshevik Visions of the New Soviet Man," European History Quarterly 27, no. 1 (1997): 57-92.
- "Soviet Dissidents on Nazism, Hitler, and the Holocaust: A Study of the Preservation of Historical Memory," Slavonic and East European Review (1992): 477-504.
- "Soviet Dissidents on the Russian Intelligentsia, 1956-1985: The Search for a Usable Past," Russian Review (1992): 16-35.
- "The Image of Jesus in the Russian Revolutionary Movement: The Case of Russian Marxism," International Review of Social History 35, no. 2 (1990): 220-248.
- "The Memoirs of Soviet Defectors: Are They a Reliable Source about the Soviet Union?" Canadian Slavonic Papers (1989): 1-24.
- "The Perils of Historical Analogy: Leon Trotsky on the French Revolution," Journal of the History of Ideas (1987): 73-98.
- "Vera Zasulich, the Shooting of Trepov, and the Growth of Political Terrorism in Russia," Terrorism: An International Journal (1980): 25-51.
- "The Political Thought of Vera Zasulich," Slavic Review (1979): 243-258