- “The Pill at Fifty: Scientific Commemoration and the Politics of American Memory.” Technology and Culture 54/4 (2013): 735-745.
- “Safer than Aspirin: The Campaign for Over-the-Counter Oral Contraceptives.” In Jeremy A. Greene and Elizabeth Siegel Watkins, ed. Prescribed: Writing, Filling, Using, and Abusing the Prescription in Modern America. Baltimore, MD: Johns Hopkins University Press, 2012.
- The Morning After; A History of Emergency Contraception in the United States (New Brunswick, NJ: Rutgers University Press, 2011).
- “Safeguarding Girls: Morality, Risk, and Activism.” In Keith Wailoo, Julie Livingson, Steven Epstein, and Robert Aronowitz, ed. Three Shots at Prevention: The HPV Vaccine and the Politics of Medicine’s Simple Solutions. Baltimore, MD: Johns Hopkins University Press, 2010.
- Student Bodies: The Impact of Student Health on American Society and Medicine (Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press, 2007).
- Children and Youth in Sickness and Health: A Historical Handbook and Guide (Westport, Conn.: Greenwood Press, 2004). Co-edited with Janet Golden and Richard Meckel.
- "A Doctor of Their Own": The History of Adolescent Medicine(Cambridge, Mass.: Harvard University Press, 1998).