This program is offered by the Literacy, Elementary, & Early Childhood Education Department
This degree program is for educators who hold a Master’s degree and wish to become Reading Specialists and/or Reading/Language Arts Consultants by pursuing the 102 endorsement (Remedial Reading and Remedial Language Arts) and/or the 097 endorsement (Reading and Language Arts Consultant). This program is also for educators who are not interested in the endorsements, but wish to take exciting and rigorous courses in literacy in order to enrich their own instruction.
- Candidates interpret and summarize historically shared knowledge of the profession and changes over time in the perceptions of reading and writing development, processes, and components
- Candidates support classroom teachers and other education professionals in using instructional approaches, materials, and an integrated, comprehensive, balanced curriculum to support student learning in reading and writing.
- Candidates lead classroom teachers and other education support personnel in analyzing and using assessment data to plan and evaluate effective reading and writing instruction.
- Candidates provide support and leadership to educators, parents, students and other members of the school community in valuing the contributions of diverse people and traditions to literacy learning
- Candidates participate in, design, facilitate, lead, and evaluate effective and differentiated professional development programs.