This program is offered by the Literacy, Elementary, & Early Childhood Education Department
Prepares literacy professionals and/or literacy coaches. Program offers both certificate or non-certificate tracks and meets IRA standards for reading professionals and/or the Connecticut state standards for advanced certifications in reading and language arts.
- Candidates interpret and summarize historically shared knowledge of the profession and changes over time in the perceptions of reading and writing development, processes, and components
- Candidates support classroom teachers and other education professionals in using instructional approaches, materials, and an integrated, comprehensive, balanced curriculum to support student learning in reading and writing.
- Candidates lead classroom teachers and other education support personnel in analyzing and using assessment data to plan and evaluate effective reading and writing instruction.
- Candidates provide support and leadership to educators, parents, students and other members of the school community in valuing the contributions of diverse people and traditions to literacy learning
- Candidates participate in, design, facilitate, lead, and evaluate effective and differentiated professional development programs.