This program is offered by the Literacy, Elementary, & Early Childhood Education Department
This is a non-degree program which provides coursework that leads to endorsement as a Reading and Language Arts Consultant in the state of Connecticut. This program is great for applicants who already hold the 102 endorsement (Remedial Reading and Remedial Language Arts) and need a few courses for the 097 endorsement (Reading and Language Arts Consultant). Applicants are expected to have a Master's degree or a Sixth Year Certificate in Reading and Language Arts with a minimum GPA of 3.00 on a 4.00 point scale. Applicants must also have 3 years of teaching experience.
- Candidates interpret and summarize historically shared knowledge of the profession and changes over time in the perceptions of reading and writing development, processes, and components.
- Candidates support classroom teachers and other education professionals in using instructional approaches, materials, and an integrated, comprehensive, balanced curriculum to support student learning in reading and writing.
- Candidates lead classroom teachers and other education support personnel in analyzing and using assessment data to plan and evaluate effective reading and writing instruction.
- Candidates provide support and leadership to educators, parents, students and other members of the school community in valuing the contributions of diverse people and traditions to literacy learning.
- Candidates participate in, design, facilitate, lead, and evaluate effective and differentiated professional development programs.