Prepares students for careers as counselors in elementary, middle, and high schools in urban, rural, and suburban settings. Emphasis on a comprehensive and developmental model of school counseling. Develops counselors with a strong sense of professional identity as ethical, multiculturally competent school counselors.
Students in this program will be expected to:
- demonstrate knowledge of theory, practice, and ethical standards relative to the practice of school counseling;
- demonstrate appropriate counseling techniques and interventions for use within the academic, career, and personal/social domains;
- demonstrate the ability to consult and collaborate with teachers, staff, administrators, and community-based organizations in understanding and meeting the needs of all students;
- promote understanding and appreciation for diverse populations and cultures; and
- demonstrate knowledge of federal and state laws pertinent to the role, function, and services of the school counselor.