This program is offered by the Geological Sciences Department
The Geology Specialization is designed for students planning a career as a professional geologist with government agencies (e.g. geological surveys), and geotechnical, mining, and energy industries. In addition, students will be prepared for graduate-level studies in geology or related fields.
By the time of graduation, students will demonstrate proficiency in the following areas:
- Scientific literacy: Students will be able to identify, analyze, and apply earth science concepts, principles, laws, and theories.
- Ability to do science: Students will be able to interpret, analyze, and apply the Scientific Method and other related inquiry related skills, as well as quantitative methods, in the earth science lab.
- Communications: Students will be able to use oral and written communication to accurately and effectively convey earth science concepts.
- Technology literacy: Students will be able to select and accurately use appropriate tools, equipment, and technologies in the earth science lab.
- Research: Students will be able to locate, interpret, analyze, and/or conduct and present earth science research.