Major Requirements (68 credits):
EXS 408, EXS 409, EXS 415, EXS 416, EXS 417, EXS 421, EXS 450, and EXS 470: Require admission to the professional program prior to enrollment
BIO 111 or BIO 121 or BMS 102 or BMS 111; CHEM 161; ENG 105 and 105P, or ENG 110; any HIST; STAT 104 or STAT 200 or STAT 215; PHYS 111 or PHYS 121; PSY 112 and PSY 136.
Admission and Retention Policy:
Applying for Admission into the Exercise Science Program:
Undergraduate applicants seeking admission to the exercise science program are required to submit their materials online through Taskstream for review by the Department of Physical Education and Human Performance. The applicant's completed file should be submitted prior to September 10 for fall candidates and February 10 (second semester sophomore year) for spring candidates. Applications for admission may be obtained in the Department of Physical Education and Human Performance, Kaiser Hall, Room 0180.
Requirements for Admission:
The following are departmental requirements for admission to the exercise science program:
- Completion of application to the professional program for exercise science;
- Completion of 45 credits of academic work;
- Successful completion (C- or better of EXS 109, EXS 207 and EXS 211 or EXS 208 and EXS 212 or equivalent. Courses must be completed before full admission will be granted.
- Successful completion of 3 credits of required skills courses including EXS 275 or equivalent or EXS 280 or equivalent. Courses must be completed before full admission will be granted.
- University GPA of 2.50;
- Departmental GPA of 2.70;
- Two letters of recommendation (from persons who can best assess the candidate's potential);
- The presentation of an essay demonstrating command of the English language, setting out the reasons for wanting to enroll in the program; and emphasizing experiences related to exercise science (500-700 words); and
- An interview with the personnel committee of the Department of Physical Education and Human Performance, including at least one exercise science faculty member.
Once admitted to the professional program, the following requirements must be maintained in order to remain in "good standing" within the exercise science and health promotion program:
- Students must maintain a University GPA of 2.50;
- Students must maintain a departmental GPA of 2.70; and
- A letter grade of C or higher is required in all professional program courses.
If a candidate drops below the required GPA levels, and/or fails to get a C or higher in any professional program course, he or she may be denied admission to the professional program courses, practicum courses, and internship assignments until the GPA or grade reaches the appropriate level.
Note: Revisions to the exercise science education program may occur in order to maintain compliance with national accreditation standards. Students should check with the program director and/or the CCSU exercise science website regarding the possibility of new requirements. All practicum courses and internship assignments require the student to be in "good standing."