This program is offered by the Mathematical Sciences Department
Provides secondary mathematics teachers with additional content and knowledge to help them become more effective teachers. Covers advanced mathematical topics, research on teaching and learning, trends and effective use of technology in teaching mathematics.
Students in this program will be expected to:
- deepen their comprehension of mathematics by studying advanced topics not covered in undergraduate curriculum and thus develop the dispositions of life-long learners of mathematics;
- develop as reflective practitioners, striving for continual improvement in their teaching and student learning;
- understand current research on teaching and learning mathematics, trends in mathematics curriculum, and the effective use of technology in the teaching of mathematics;
- acquire skills necessary to conduct research in mathematics education; and
- acquire skills necessary to make creative contributions to the field, such as writing, collecting data, and developing curriculum activities.