This program is offered by the Music Department
CCSU offers the Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Music Education, and the Bachelor of Arts (B.A.). The B.S. in Music Education is designed to provide students with the knowledge and skills in music and music education needed for certification to teach music (PK-12) in public schools in Connecticut. Students pursuing a B.A. in music degree may choose an emphasis in: Jazz Studies; Performance; Theory/Composition; or a concentration outside of the major.
- demonstrate competence in musicianship, to include: aural skills, and knowledge and application of music theory;
- demonstrate competence in musical performance on his/her primary instrument, with particular emphasis on technical precision;
- demonstrate competence in basic piano playing skills appropriate to a PK-12 music educator;
- exhibit knowledge of instructional methods as they pertain to choral, instrumental, and general music education;
- demonstrate application of pedagogy and instructional methods as they pertain to choral, instrumental, and general music education;